A collection of properties and land extending to approx. 91.4 hectares/ 226.2 acres on Whiddy Island, including the adjoining Rabbit Island.
FOR SALE BY PRIVATE TREATY OR TENDER AT A LATER DATE
Maps and brochure available on request
Whiddy Island’s storied past reaches back into the depths of prehistory, with archaeological estimates suggesting early human habitation as far back as 4500 BC. By the 6th century AD, the island had earned the name Vod Iy, meaning “Holy Island,” in reference to its spiritual significance. At that time, at least two monasteries and a priory were established here, marking it as a place of quiet religious devotion. In 1171, the High King of Ireland granted land on the island to displaced monks from Cong, further enhancing its ecclesiastical status. The island was also home to the O’Sullivan clan, who came to control the bay and inner harbour. Together with the monastic community, they rebuilt a stone castle remnants of which still stand today cementing Whiddy’s dual role as both a sanctuary and a stronghold.
By the late 17th century, the island transitioned to new ownership when Captain Richard White, an English settler, acquired the land. His son, later known as Counsellor Richard White, was born on the island in 1701 and would go on to purchase the grand estate now known as Bantry House. During the 1700s, Whiddy Island became a major hub for the pilchard fishing industry, supporting a fleet of 186 boats and housing three large curing facilities known as Fish Palaces. At its peak, the island’s population rose to over 800 residents, drawn by its thriving maritime economy.
Whiddy’s strategic location made it a valuable military asset. In 1796, in response to the looming threat of a French invasion under Wolfe Tone, the English constructed three fortified gun batteries on the island. These mounted 18 large cannons to defend Bantry Bay, though the batteries were decommissioned by 1807. The Great Famine of the mid-19th century saw the island’s population decline to around 250, after which Lord Bantry converted portions of the land for deer farming.
In 1918, the eastern end of Whiddy became home to a U.S. Naval Air Station part of America’s World War I presence in Ireland. The base included a seaplane patrol and a high-powered radio station capable of receiving transatlantic signals from as far afield as the United States and Russia. A tragic plane crash killed an American airman just one month after opening, and the base was closed in 1919.
Whiddy’s final major chapter in industrial history came in the modern era. In 1966, Gulf Oil selected the island as the site for a major oil terminal, with construction completed in 1969. The facility was a key piece of national energy infrastructure until disaster struck on January 8th, 1979. The French oil tanker Betelgeuse exploded while unloading crude oil, resulting in a catastrophic fire that destroyed much of the jetty. Fifty men and one woman lost their lives in what remains Ireland’s worst maritime disaster known today as the Whiddy Island Disaster or the Betelgeuse Incident. The terminal has since been repurposed for the storage of part of Ireland’s strategic oil reserves.
Despite its complex and at times dramatic history, Whiddy Island retains its quiet dignity and natural grace. Its layered past spanning early Christianity, Gaelic lordships, imperial conflicts, and modern industry lends a profound sense of place to this remarkable island, where historical echoes sit gently amid tranquil landscapes and coastal beauty.
THIS HOLDING IS BEING OFFERED FOR SALE BY PRIVATE TREAY OR TENDER AT A LATER DATE EITHER IN ITS ENTIRETY OR IN SEPARATE LOTS BELOW
Main House, Outbuildings, and approximately 75.7 hectares / 187.1 acres, Trawnahaha, Whiddy Island, Bantry Bay, P75 EF25
This exceptional island holding features a two-storey detached main house, occupying a prime seafront position on Whiddy Island. Set against the spectacular backdrop